Top 17 Best Massage Chairs 2019 – Experts’ Handbook
Coming home after a long day and kicking back in your massage chair is a great way to start your evening. Add a personalized massage to the mix and you’ve got little reason to get up at all.
Massage chairs are where lounge chairs and the sensation of massage meet. Finding a massage chair to fit into your home or office brings endless enjoyment as well as notable benefits for the human body.
Massage has been used for centuries across almost all cultures as a viable solution to stress and bodily strain. Even today, certain back and muscle problems are best cured through this age old technique.
Being able to bring the experience home in the form of this type of chair is a fast spreading trend. Massage chair manufacturers are producing wider ranges of these devices than ever before. There’s a design, functionality and price to match every household’s needs.
With so many variants on the market, selecting the absolute best one for your home can become overwhelming. We’ve taken some time to identify the 17 best massage chairs available today. Through a comprehensive analysis, and pros & cons of each, you’ll be able to easily pick out your favorite from the line up.
Our Top 17 picks of Best Massage Chair List (Reviewed by Experts)
1) Zero Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair
This is a great quality product from trusted brand Kahuna. It’s one of the few massage chairs on the market that is medically approved by the FDA. Although the Kahuna massage chair may be on the pricier side of the market’s spectrum its impressive abilities make the price tag justifiable.
- L-track style system for the most effects massage from shoulders to toes.
- This is a zero gravity chair. It features three alternating positions.
- Built-in space saving technology only requires three inches between the back wall and the chair.
- The chair operates in variations of Shiatsu style massage for targeted stress management and muscular healing.
- There are additional chiropractic and yoga center programs included in the chair.
- The package includes extra foot padding and remote holders for your convenience.
- It has heating therapy ability in the lower back and upper leg areas.
- The body scanning technology will help customize the perfect massage session for you each time.
- Comes in your choice of either black or brown
- Arrives fully assembled, just plug in and go
- 3 year warranty coverage
- Doesn’t take up too much space when reclining
- Quality made exterior that is also easy to wipe down
- Well known and trusted brand in the industry
- One of the pricier units on the market
- Naturally bulky body
- Limited number of manual programs
2) SNAILAX Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat
We love that the massage chair industry has taken the time to cater for people who perhaps don’t have the space to incorporate a full sized massage lounger. The Snailax is a brilliant device that slides over any existing chair. The user then simply sits down and enjoys the massage experience that the slip has to offer. The great thing about these devices is their portability. They can be easily carried between the home and office as needed.
- The Snailax has the ability to provide deep kneading massages to the back and shoulder areas. It performs a more gentle massage in the buttocks area.
- The seat also features a vibrating function that can be alternated between three different intensities.
- Heating pads are built into the back panel and can be used as desired.
- To hold the device in place there’s an integrated strapping system that works against most forms of seating.
- The massage style is of the Shiatsu technique type.
- The ability to alternate between intensities ranging from soft to extremely intense make it relevant to many people’s needs. There’s also an intensity control flap that can be attached or removed as needed.
- Ultra portable, can be taken almost anywhere with ease
- Uses much less electricity than the full sized chairs
- Non-bulky unit
- Auto shut-off after 15 minutes of no activity
- Can be stored away when not in use
- Massage is limited to back and buttocks areas only
- Limited amount of functions built in, massages will become repetitive
3) Electric Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chair
Here is one of the more timeless chairs on the market. This is one of the best massage chair under $1000 having loads of features. The soft black leather against the polished wooden armrests is a feast for the eyes and a welcome addition to any classy home space. This chair is by another well trusted brand in the industry. For its impressive range of features it’s incredibly reasonably priced. For just a few hundred bucks you’ll have professional grade Shiatsu massages in your home.
- Over 30 individual air bags built in for air massage sensation
- Compression technology that is designed to improve overall blood and system flow in the body
- Reclining back and inclining leg rests for simulation of the zero gravity experience (maximum reclining angle of 170°)
- A variety of automatic and manual modes to choose from
- The ability to provide upper arm massage despite not having isolated arm panels within the chair
- Heating therapy in the lower back and feet areas
- Multiple levels of intensity to choose from, adjustable through the attached keypad
- High-tech motor that controls the ranges in vibration
- Attractive, classic design that can blend with other furniture well
- Soft, quality leather used to cover the majority of the unit
- Extremely reasonably priced considering its size
- Unit arrives fully set up and ready to go
- Made by a well trusted brand in the industry
- Keypad is somewhat complicated to get the hang of
- Keypad sticks out and makes it a bit obvious that this is no ordinary recliner
- Lightweight unit, not suitable for heavier individuals
4) Esright Massage Recliner Chair
We had to do a double take when looking at the price tag of this Esright unit. Although the functions are basic, it has some worthwhile massage abilities in conjunction with vibration, heating and reclining. therefore its among the best massage chair under $500 It won’t be the massage experience you write home about, but it’s definitely a welcome upgrade to the everyday armchair.
- Soft PU leather with extra padding for optimized comfort
- Cup holders in both armrests to enjoy your morning or evening beverage during your session
- Storage pockets on either outer side to hold books or magazines as needed
- Storage pockets on each leg panel for smaller gadgets such as a cellphone or iPod
- Ability to recline up to 150°
- 360° swivel feature allowing the user to face any direction necessary
- Incredible affordability
- 5 control modes and 2 different intensity options
- Well made body and attractive design
- The unit will fit in with any pre-existing black furniture
- Ability to rock back and forth
- Requires self assembly
- All functions are manually controlled
5) Best Choice Products Faux Leather Electric Massage Chair
This is a great modern spin on the conventional massage lounger. Unlike other recliners, this unit features a separate device for the body and for the feet. The footrest is only attached to the body of the chair via a single cable that runs underneath. Somehow it’s both wonderfully modern with classic undertones at the same time. Also a reasonably priced device once you take functionality into consideration.
- Separate body and footrest units for individual experiences
- Thick padding across both the backrest and ottoman for optimal comfort
- The unit is completely wireless and controlled only via a remote control that can be stored in the chair pocket
- Heating ability through a number of pads scattered around the interior
- Slight reclining ability when full weight is applied to the backrest
- Great programs targeted around improved circulation, pain relief, stress management and muscle relaxation
- Built to last with faux leather and a metal frame interior
- Can be enjoyed as a regular lounger when not being used for massage
- Focuses on the more sensitive areas including upper and lower back, thighs & feet
- The software to power the chair is very user friendly
- Attractive design that fits into both modern and classic themed spaces
- Lightweight unit, easy to move around
- The faux leather is easy to clean after long periods of use
- Requires assembly (detailed instructions are luckily included)
- Part of the leg is excluded from the massage experience
6) SNAILAX Vibration Massage Seat Cushion
Here is another rendition of the massage cushion by Snailax. Its affordability is due to its fewer features when compared to its sister unit that we looked at earlier. It’s hard to truly use the word massage when describing this device. It’s more of a vibrating seat cushion than anything else. Nevertheless it still delivers some satisfying motion sessions and can be beneficial towards stress relief. Similar to the afore mentioned device, this too sits comfortable on top of almost any seating area and needs to be plugged in to use its functions.
- Heating pads located throughout the unit
- Auto shutoff technology to prevent overheating
- Mild to intense vibration ability across a variety of different zones
- Integrated strapping mechanism to hold the device in place at all times
- Six vibrating motors to deliver the sensation
- Five choices of programs
- Four intensity level adjustments
- Exceptionally cozy fabric that is soft on the skin
- Comes with an adapter that can power the seat in your car
- Ultra portable, can be used almost anywhere provided there’s a power outlet
- Quality made exterior that is easy to clean
- Unbelievable affordability
- No actual massage functions (kneading, tapping, rolling etc.)
- Can’t provide experience for legs or feet
- Unable to perform Shiatsu style
- Motion only reaches the upper thigh, neglects the lower
7) Top Performance Kahuna Superior Massage Chair
This is one of the higher end units available on the market. Kahuna is a renowned brand known for its unmatched quality and performance. This massage chair is no different. The overall look of the chair is on the more futuristic side; This makes it stick out next to most conventional furniture. The uniformity of the black leather does well to tone down the intense look of the chair’s exterior. It should also be noted that because this unit is designed to fully envelop the body from head to toe, it requires a significant amount of space due to its size.
- LED light panels built into the sides that emit a cool blue hue when enjoying massage in the dark
- Nine comprehensive programs to alternate between
- The ability to perform yoga stretching by inclining and reclining certain areas of the body
- Space saving technology helps the chair recline by sliding forward, meaning it can still function when up against a wall
- Six rollers simulate the experience of six different hands performing massage
- User friendly remote control
- Equipped to perform zero gravity massage
- Acupressure points in the armrests
- Heating therapy throughout the chair
- Two year warranty included
- Can accommodate individuals up to 320lb
- Wrist massage ability
- Foot rest covering can be removed and regularly washed
- Feature packed with performance to match
- Arrives fully set up, no effort needed
- Does not blend in as another piece of furniture, very obviously a massage device
8) Real Relax Full Body Massage Chair
This is a great yet basic massage chair by the Real Relax brand. It’s not designed to blend with regular lounge furniture and is very obviously a mechanical device. This chair by Real Relax is a more affordable solution to full body massage chair technology. Its build is also slightly wider than most other massage chair units which gives it the ability to hold much larger individuals.
- Heating technology throughout the back and thigh areas to promote better circulation
- Four preset automatic massage programs
- Eight pressure points in the backrest to simulate human hand massage
- Zero gravity ability to raise the feet above heart level for a deeper massage experience
- HD VDF display screen with easy to navigate functions
- Bluetooth compatibility with built in speakers for musical playback
- 50 airbags located throughout the chair for an intense air massage experience
- Rollers for simulated foot massage
- Quality upholstery that is soft and comfortable
- New ergonomic design
- An affordable option
- Arrives fully assembled and requires no effort
- Side panel lights create an ambiance when used in darkness
- Footrest can extend for use on taller individuals
- Silent air pump makes for a notably quieter experience
- No wrist massage ability
- Buttons on the control panel can be confusing
9) RELAXONCHAIR MK-II PLUS Full Body Massage Chair
This is a quality and high performing massage chair from one of the better known names in the industry. Relaxonchair has delivered consistent, well made products throughout its time on the market and the KM-II is no different. The unit is FDA approved and suitable for medical purposes. The chair simulates Shiatsu massage across the entire body. There is a vast number of other features built into the chair. This makes it one of the top performing devices available for home purchase.
- L-track massage system designed to roll along your spine
- 5 manually targeted massages: Kneading, tapping, rolling, Shiatsu and kneading with tapping
- Two heating pads in the lumber area
- True zero gravity position of 180° with feet above the heart for optimized experience
- Three options for said zero gravity reclining
- Built in sensors that can automatically detect the length of the spine
- State of the art air massage technology that can be used on its own or in conjunction with a rolling massage
- Spinal decompression program built in
- The ability to provide full body stretching by pinning the body in place and then circling rollers across the muscles
- Exceptional comfort and thick padding
- Therapeutic massage from the comfort of your own home
- Deep tissue simulating making the experience close to human-performance
- Large sized screen
- Ability to massage the soles of the feet which isn’t usually included in most massage chairs
- Comes in your choice of black, brown or grey
- Requires a three step set up process
- Remote control is slightly confusing
10) Real Relax Zero Gravity Full Body Massage Chair
Another quality FDA approved product for home use. This chair by Real Relax has the impressive ability to rock back and forth during massages which takes the experience to the next level. While it doesn’t have zero gravity ability, it does recline backward to an impressive angle. When the reclining function isn’t in use the chair makes a great sofa or lounge chair for regular use.
- Eight massage points in the back rest that operate in accordance to four automatic functions
- Built in waist heater that promotes better circulation
- Full armrest panels that deliver arm and wrist massages
- Variety of different intensities to customize your desired experience
- Sleep function that delivers exceptionally gentle massage and vibration sensations to promote better sleep patterns
- 50 airbags located around the interior to deliver air massage
- Easy to use remote control function with a built in storage pouch
- Optimized massage experience for the leg and calf areas
- Comes with installation video
- Weight capacity of up to 400lb
- Comfortable unit to fall asleep in when fully reclined without damaging the back
- Two wheels in the back for easy movement around a space
- Comes in a variety of colors to match almost any interior
- Vibration function can be used on its own or during massage sessions
- Sleek, modern design
- Great as a sofa when not being used for massage
- Requires assembling upon arrival
- Incredibly bulky unit
11) Best Massage Full Body Zero Gravity Shiatsu Massage Chair
No part of the body goes un-massaged with this impressive unit by Best Massage Chairs. Even the armrests contain hidden compartments in which the hands and arms can receive massages once the chair reclines. You must take note of the sturdiness of this chair—built to last. The clean lines and sleek black finish are what give it its aesthetic appeal. In terms of functionality it’s feature packed.
- There are multiple methods of massage included in this device to simulate the varying techniques used by professionals around the world
- OPTO sensors to identify shoulder spacing and adjust massage accordingly
- Roller massage with the ability to cover the entire foot area, not just the sides
- Heating pads in the waist area that warm the body and relax the core
- Targeted programs for morning and evening needs
- Professional L-track system that scans across the entire length of your anatomy
- Zero gravity abilities
- Extra ability to massage the soles of the feat which is uncommon
- Space saving technology requires little back wall space
- Footrest can extend up to 8”
- Air pressure massage can be added to regular massage sessions
- Reasonably priced
- Stylish, well made exterior
- Keypad is easy to use
- Three color options to choose from
- Keypad sticks far out of the unit and is highly noticeable
- Chair is narrow and might not be comfortable for wider individuals
12) HoMedics Pro Massage Cushion
Another massage cushion of portable nature. The HoMedics is a massaging chair cover than can be used on just about any seat available. You could even take this device with you to the cinema, if you could find a way to power the mechanics that is. Massage cushions’ popularity is growing due to their affordability and functionality. While they don’t offer the range of features a full chair can, they are completely adequate methods to enjoy a basic massage.
- Three massage styles: Invigorating percussion, deep kneading or gentle rolling
- Soothing heating pads provide comfort to the back area
- Integrated strapping that can hold the device in place on almost any chair
- Easy to use remote control included
- Padded for comfort
- Head and neck massager accessories can be purchased as add ons
- Soft, breathable fabric that is easy to clean
- Massages in Shiatsu style
- Ready to use right out of the box, no setup required
- Fully portable, can be carried between locations with ease
- Focus on the upper, middle and lower back
- Quality made unit, won’t weaken over time
- Light colored fabric can get dirty quite easily
- Having fewer massage options can become monotonous over long periods of use
- Expensive for a massage cushion
- No massage ability in the seating part of the device
13) Human Touch WholeBody 7.1 Massage Chair
This is an interesting rendition of the typical massage chair. The Human Touch 7.1 looks like a regular arm chair at first glance. It’s only when the footrest is extended from underneath that you become aware of its true function. The feet holders sit behind a solid panel at the base of the chair and can’t be seen until the chair reclines. This makes it a great unit for blending in with already existing furniture.
- Heating pads that prepare the muscles to receive a massage
- Foot and calf massager that can retract also elevates the legs and promotes blood flow
- A choice of five automatic massage programs
- Swivel base of 55° that allows you to face any angle
- Stretch, flex, tone and glide techniques
- BodyMap Pro remote control
- 3D Flex for shoulder massage
- Warm Air technology
- Comfort pillow provides extra neck and shoulder support
- Dual motors that control different parts simultaneously
- Closest massage experience to human hands
- Doesn’t look like a massage chair
- Restores and rejuvenates the body & mind
- Choice between beige or black leather
- Two year warranty that can be extended to three or five for a fee
- Leg rest can flip over when not being used for massaging
- Lightweight unit, wouldn’t be suitable for heavier people
- Beige leather can get dirty quite easily
- Requires space to recline
14) Zyllion Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager Cushion
Zyllion gives you another impressive massage chair alternative in this round up of best massage chairs. Massager cushions are great ways of experiencing the sensation of massage without having to purchase the entire chair. Their abilities may be more limited, but they’re compact and portable devices that can accompany you almost anywhere. This device by Zyllion is performance driven. It’s not common for massage cushions to feature Shiatsu abilities, but this one does.
- Deep-kneading Shiatsu back and neck massage
- Heating pads to prepare the muscles for the session
- Auto-shut off technology to prevent overheating
- Seat vibration function for the buttocks and thighs
- Customizable options
- Built in rollers for rolling massage sensation
- Extra padded for comfort
- Sewn in pouch to hold the keypad in place
- 90 day guarantee as well as a one year warranty coverage
- Fits on top of almost any pre-existing seat
- Height is adjustable to properly line up with the spine
- Quiet while running
- Black color doesn’t require frequent cleaning
- Take it to work with you, or on vacation
- Keypad is easy to use
- Sleek and stylish design
- Limited sensation around the thigh area
- Not suitable for heavier individuals
15) Giantex Recliner Massage Sofa Chair
This is the epitome of sofa meets massage. At first glance, you probably wouldn’t assume that this chair contained many moving parts and motors. It looks like a puffy, everyday lounger found in more old fashioned style homes. The beige leather adds to this effect. The chair has an undeniable retro feel to it. It’s also very impressively priced considering all the functions it embodies.
- Eight modes of massage to choose from
- Built in heating pads across the entire chair interior
- Alternate between massage, vibration and heating at the touch of a button
- Reclining ability with a levitating foot rest
- Storage pouch on the side of the sofa for magazines or cellular devices
- Extra padding for optimized comfort
- L-shaped curve for extended back support
- Targeted waist massage and heating program to create alignment
- Sturdy design that won’t shift due to vibrations
- Can hold individuals of up to 330lb
- Can be used as a regular sofa when not performing massages
- Visually pleasing
- Made with PU leather
- Leg rest folds back into the sofa after massage sessions to save space
- Comfortable chair to fall asleep in during a massage session
- Becomes a decorative piece in the home
- Great to use in front of the TV thanks to its silent performing aspect
- Requires some easy self-assembling (instruction manual included)
- Wear and tear shows up on beige a lot faster than on black
- Beige isn’t always preferable to all customers
16) Relaxzen Deluxe Leisure Recliner Chair
Relaxzen markets this chair as a massage recliner but it should be noted that it only has vibrating abilities. That being said, the chair features a stylish, vintage exterior and is a welcome addition to any cozy home space. We particularly love that the chair and foot rest are separate. Impressively, the foot rest has the same vibrational abilities as the rest of the chair. Your feet and calves won’t be left out of the experience.
- Great, functional design
- Does not take up a lot of space and is easy to move around
- Thick, padded upholstery for comfort
- Weight capacity up to 300lb
- Focus was placed on comfort when manufacturing these chairs
- Vibrating ottoman links with the function of the main chair for feet and calf area
- Sustainably sourced materials are used to make these units
- Affordably priced
- No massage rollers built into this unit at all
- Faux suede finish can be difficult to clean after long periods of use
- Brown tone is much darker than marketing pictures
- Requires some self-assembling
17) Best Massage Mr Direct Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chair
A massage chair that performs as powerfully as it looks. Don’t let the rough edges of this dark horse fool you; The Mr Direct is one of the most gentle massage chairs on the market. Sink in to the leather interior and within minutes you’ll feel all your stress leave your body. Our favorite thing about this chair is that no part goes untouched. From the top of your head, to the tips of your fingers and toes; You’ll come to understand the true meaning of the phrase “full body massage”.
- There are eight massage points built into the back rest
- 35 air bags are placed throughout the interior and perform one of the most gentle massages on the market
- Choose from three preset programs and modes to alternate your massage experience
- High definition VFD screen lets you know what function you’re enjoying
- Extra length foot rest for taller people to enjoy the chair as well
- Zero gravity ability to raise the feet above the heart for extra relaxation and deeper massage experience
- Scraping rollers give the entire foot a massage and not just the sides
- Waist heater to boost circulation
- Scanning technology helps customize massage sessions based on your body specifications
- Arrives fully assembled and ready to use
- Wheels around the base for when you need to move the unit around
- Diamond designed armrest for a more fashionable touch
- Handy pocket to hold the remote control so you’ll never lose it
- Reasonably priced
- Wrist massage ability
- Suitable for heavier and taller individuals
- Easy to wipe down and clean
- Bulky unit
- Not equipped with space saving technology so it requires ample space to recline
- This is the most basic of the range; Higher end units are available at extra cost
- Heavy unit makes it difficult to move it from place to place
Not convince with the Massage Chairs, Than check out our Best Recliners list – Top 15 Best Recliner Chairs – Modern, Comfortable and Stylish
What Should One Consider Before Buying?
Before investing in one of these gentle giants just be very sure about your spatial availability, particularly if you’re looking at units of a fold-out nature.
There’s nothing worse than bringing a new piece of furniture into a space and immediately feeling its disproportion. You rarely get used to it and it will likely bother individuals within the space for its duration.
Measure the space as well as the chair (at full expansion) and make your purchase accordingly.
We know it can be tempting to go with the biggest, most eccentric massage chair with all the bells and whistles. But if your space can’t hold such physicality you’ll just end up feeling more resentment toward the product than anything else.
After this important factor, budget and manufacturer quality should be carefully considered to fing the best massage chair for your application. Always pay attention to the past experiences and reviews of existing customers. This is where you’ll find the true value of the chair and not what you’ve been led to believe by the retailer.
Reviews of the best massage chairs are practical ways to ensure that you don’t fall into the same trap that others before you had to endure. You’ll be able to take each account into careful consideration before buying your chair. Either that, or you’ll have a clear indication of which brands to stay far away from. That’s shopping made easier.
How We Selected The Best Massage Chair
It might sound over simplified, but we found the design of the chair the surest guide to finding the best massage chair eventually.
If you’re able to list your aesthetic preferences and enjoy the overall look of the chair before considering the price & abilities, it makes things a lot easier. Too often people find the perfect massage chair in terms of functionality but dislike everything about the exterior.
Since a massage chair becomes an extension of your home’s decor the body of the chair is extremely important. It’s not the type of device that can be hidden in a closet and taken out when needed.
Thankfully, most massage chair manufacturers usually make their chairs in a range of two or three color options. This means that there’s more chance of you finding one to suit your home and interior design needs.
Material is also important when selecting the best chair. Since massage chairs tend to touch more parts of the body than regular pieces of furniture, they need to be hygienic. Some materials are easier to clean while other are prone to dirt and wear down quickly compared to others.
Find chairs you love at first sight and then start comparing their functionality to find the winner.
Why Are Massage Chairs So Expensive & Is it Worth it?
At face value a massage chair might appear as a colossal expense. You need to take into consideration that this expense is, however, once off. It’s a lump sum investment that has little recurring costs aside from maybe the small amount of electricity required for usage.
When you compare this to what you would pay for accumulated in-person massage fees year after year, then the chairs are seen in a different light. They’re actually investments in your health and budget friendly options; not simply expenses.
When it comes to massage chairs you also pay for what you want. Naturally, more feature packed units will come with heavier price tags to compensate. There are, however, many affordable and more basic units on the market that still deliver the sensation of a quality massage.
The newest craze in the industry isn’t even massage chairs at all but rather devices known as massage chair “cushions”. They are slip-like devices that sit on top of chairs and deliver massage vibrations through thin padding. They’re portable and can be taken anywhere. They tend to only cost under $100.
In the long run, investing in a massage chair is definitely worth it—especially if you enjoy (or need) regular massages. Remember they’re also communal devices, creating enjoyment for the whole family. Once again: They’re investments and worth your consideration.